Aberystwyth Football Club. Gentlemen wishing
to join the above club are requested to attend a meeting to
be held at the Belle Vue Hotel on Saturday, the 4th inst.,
at 4pm. Members' subscriptions to be paid in advance, 2s.
The club at the time was only really open
to gentlemen (not many people at the time could afford such
subscriptions!). The advertisement was to prove a success.
A later news report tells us that Mr. Peake was elected as
the first ever ATFC Captain. John Hamer was his sub-captain.
Mr Bonsall was the club's first secretary. A committee was
formed involving numerous people and the arrangement to gain
a field via Mr Roberts (Lion Hotel) were in place.
Arthur was educated at Clifton College, Bristol
and was admitted as a solicitor becoming a partner in his
father's firm eventually. He became clerk to Aberaeron magistrates
in 1875, and then to Llanilar magistrates, soon after in 1880
he was appointed Aberystwyth town clerk. He was celebrated
as a man of "infinite jest and a capital raconteur."
He married Miss Gilbertson and had four sons and a daughter.
Mr Hughes did not just father the club but
he was there for thirty years to help raise his creation.
Arthur Hughes had to re-awaken interest in the club in 1892,
and decided on adding the word association to Aberystwyth
Football Club. This spurred massive interest and the new proposed
Town FC started. The re-awakening of the club has since see
the club carry on successfully throughout peace-time and for
over a century now. Arthur Hughes became a patron member of
the FAW by FAW election and remained a committee member until
1919, whilst being club chairman from 1884 to around 1913.
Arthur Hughes was even nominated as club president from 1886-87.
Whilst the club had some financial trouble in several years
from 1909 onwards, Arthur Hughes did his utmost to restore